a compilation of thoughts from an ordinary girl

, , , ,

Movie Review: Captain Marvel

Hey hey hey, akhirnya saya punya niat lagi untuk nulis di blog ini. I don't know why writing has been hard for me to do lately. I feel like I'm burning out of creativity to form coherent sentences? And for that reason, I apologize in advance if my sentences would be all over the place.

P.S : As usual, this review is purely based on my reaction after watching Captain Marvel as an audience. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sumber: Marvel
The long-awaited superhero that will help the Avengers to beat Thanos is finally here, Captain Marvel. This movie is obviously talking about Captain Marvel a.k.a Carol Danvers origin story to answer questions such as who is she, what kind of superpower she has, how does she become a superhero, etc. If you watch Infinity War Part 1 and wondering how Nick Fury meet Captain Marvel, your question will be answered in this movie (and how he communicate with her using a pager that could send a signal to other galaxy). 

First off, I would like to rant a little bit (maybe). I was pissed because of men's reaction after watching the first trailer of Captain Marvel. They were being too harsh on Brie Larson (the one who played Captain Marvel) just because she's very outspoken regarding women matters. Their hate is ridiculous such as she wasn't passionate enough to play a superhero character, never smile, no emotion etc and comparing her to Wonder Woman's Gal Gadot. The hate bandwagon is real to the point that they wrote biased review about how bad Captain Marvel was when the movie finally released. 

I understand that the standard for female superhero movies are high after Wonder Woman, but they didn't need to be completely dicks about it. I didn't see this so much hate when Marvel or DC release their male superhero movies. Are some of y'all, men, really feel threatened over women playing female superheroes character? Jfc. Take a goddamn chill pill, will you?

I'm glad I didn't give a single flying f*ck for those reviews. Believe me, Captain Marvel is not actually that bad. I think it's quite decent and I enjoyed it despite the slow-paced plot (some scenes might be a bit boring, though). I like Captain Marvel's vulnerability when she couln't quite grasp of her power and feelings. In the first minutes of the movie, she was being forced to repress her feelings to be a fully Kree warior. As the story went, she learnt that feelings could be a source of power too and her past was what make her the person she is today. 

Another good thing about this movie is, Marvel debunk the stereotype that it is impossible to have a platonic relationship between a woman and a man. Fury and Carol's friendship is solely based on mutual respect and how comfortable they are with each other without romantic feelings involved. This type of relationship should be normalized, tbh. 

All in all, Captain Marvel is an important movie for girls who want to see women being represented in superheroes universe as main characters not the usual sidekicks. It is really fulfilling to see little girls dressing as Captain Marvel in the premiere. To know that those girls know their own value, that they don't need men's validation to become who they really are. This is how pop culture should be developing into, more diversity and representation. I'm happy that I can witness in my life.

I think that's all I wanna say. I'm excited for Captain Marvel's role in Avengers: Endgame (and of course I'm gonna write the review too). See you on the next post!!!
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment