a compilation of thoughts from an ordinary girl

,

WONDER WOMAN REVIEW

After 6 months of abandoning this blog, here I am back with my so-so review just for the sake of bringing this blog alive again. Let's not talk about how I'm still trapped in the chaos of revising my undergraduate thesis because I can't write for sh*t, so here we go.

p.s : this review may contains spoilers

I have been waiting to watch Wonder Woman since her first appearance in Batman vs Superman (one of the longest superhero movies I've ever watched). I am not gonna lie that the actual reason to watch BvS was Wonder Woman because I was still in denial that Christian Bale didn't take the offer to play Batman ( Batman movies directed by Christopher Nolan are still my favorite superhero movies in 20 years of my life!!!) (that was childish, I know) but no offence to Ben Affleck (Sir, you did well, don't mind my childish onion) that's why when Gal Gadot appeared I screamed at the top of my lungs because she looked gorgeous and flawless (she still does, mind you). 

When DC dropped the first trailer, I was totally in love because fi-freaking-nally we got a superhero movie with female protagonist! (I mean as a main cast) And you know what? Wonder Woman is also the first superhero movie directed by a woman, Patty Jenkins.This is my first time to watch her work so I was also excited to see how she would execute this movie. 


The poster was captivating, right? I love how bright it is. It would be interesting if the creator intentionally made the setting in the poster at sunrise because it could be the sign for "a beginning" or "a birth" of a new superhero that is not a man (I admit that I can't talk about this movie without bringing feminism). Okay, now let's talk about the movie. Diana is presented as a character who doesn't know the word 'no'. She is a rebel, but for a good cause. She was raised by his mother, Queen Hyppolyta, in an island called Themyscira. The citizen of this island only consists of women. The queen, the general in command, the soldiers, everyone is a woman. Strong women if I may add. Not only women with white skin, but women of color are also presented here. The strongest soldier after Antiope (the general in command, Diana's aunt) is a woman of color. 

Conflict starts when Steve Trevor, Chris Pine, miraculously landed his plane on Themyscira sea. His plane was in wrecked condition and Steve tried to set himself free because he got stuck that caused him to drown. And here we finally witnessed Diana's first heroic act. She swam into the sea and freed Steve from his seat. Little did Diana know that Steve was hunted by Germany army because he stole dr. Maru's book that is filled with her notes to create an advanced weapon for war. The German, again miraculously, entered the barrier that was supposed to disguise Themyscira island from human's eyes. The fight between Themyscira and Germany soldiers was hard to avoid. In this battle, Diana lost her aunt, Antiope. Later, Steve was being interrogated why he came to Themyscira. After he explained that there was a big war going on in the other world, Diana asked him to bring her. Diana believed that it was her duty to bring justice because she thought the cause of war was from Ares, the God of War. A naive and pure Diana made her assumption about  war and how it will easily end by killing Ares based on the story that was told by Queen Hyppolyta. Steve agreed to bring Diana because she was the only one who knew the way out from the island. Diana was excited but if only she knew, war is not about what is good and what is bad. White or Black. Diana soon would learn that the grey area, in-between, also exists. And most importantly, Diana would learn about her real identity.

Okay, first off. I couldn't take my eyes off of Gal Gadot. Again, she looked absolutely surreal. How can such a beautiful woman exists??? She brought Wonder Woman character to life. Especially in the heroic scenes. Chris Pine did a good job in playing Steve Trevor. I love him when he stuttered in explaining about the truth to Diana. In my opinion, it showed that he genuinely cared for Diana and looking at how pure and naive Diana was, he didn't want to hurt her. However, the truth will come no matter what. I love Steve's friends characters too. Charlie, Chief, Sammy and Etta. It was such a shame that Etta only had few scenes in this movie because I totally thought she could be a Queenie like in Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them haha but I cherished every scene she was in <3 What I want to note is, you have to be patient because this movie has 2 hours and 36 minutes duration (slow-build plot) but I'm glad that my money was worth it. 

p.s.s okay but what is with DC and Marvel rivalry though? because Steve Rogers - Chris Evans, Steve Trevor - Chris Pine. WYD.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment